Thursday 26 February 2015

Nars Velvet Matte Lip Pencil - Mysterious Red




Nars Limited Edition Velvet Matte Lip Pencil In Mysterious Red £18 - link

This is the first lip product I've tried from Nars and I love it. So much.
I haven't actually tried any lipstick/lip pencil hybrids but I'm so glad this was my first. I do have my eye on the Revlon matte ones though so if you've tried them I'd love to know your opinion or what colour from the range is your favourite!

Usually with all lipsticks no matter if they're in a bullet or pencil form I always always choose matte formulas. I can't think of anything worse than having sticky lips so to stay on the safe side, if the word matte is in the title it's a winner for me. This is a velvet matte finish which is where I draw the line. What I do like about velvet/semi-matte finishes though, and this lipstick in particular, is that they are usually completely opaque and not shiny like a matte finish, but have the creamy texture and nourishing qualities of a cremesheen for example. Basically, it's the best of both worlds.

The colour of this is described as a crimson red which I think is exactly right. It's a bright, bold deep red with slight warm undertones and it's beautiful. It applies like a dream and doesn't drag on the lips at all and like I said before has a creamy texture that dries to a semi-matte (or velvet) finish - it definitely isn't a true matte finish although the title does give that away. It's completely opaque and stays that way for at least 4 hours. After that it does start to fade and becomes a little drying, no where near as bad as some matte formulas, but drying none the less.
Like most red lipsticks, this doesn't agree much with eating or drinking of any kind and will fade pretty quickly during a meal. I always do this when testing a red lipstick just for the hopes that one day after I've eaten something, I'll look in the mirror to see that my lipstick looks the same as when I applied it and hasn't faded into nothingness. What a wonderful thing that would be.

Overall I am over the moon with this lipstick. The colour is beautiful and I think it would look great on anyone, the texture and finish are lovely as is everything else about it.

I'm looking forward to comparing it to the Revlon Matte Balms as £18 is not something that I want to part with for a lipstick very regularly (I've only just come to terms with MAC bumping up their prices to £15.50). I haven't seen anyone compare the two or say they are dupes for each other but I'm still hoping they are similar none the less.


Have you tried any lip products from Nars? Do you have a favourite?






No comments:

Post a Comment